- Extensive Vascular Detail
- Different Degrees of Vascular Contrast Available
- Interchangeable Normal and Pathological Lungs
Developed in conjunction with the University at California,
Irvine's Department of Radiological Sciences, the Alderson
Lung/Chest Phantom is a specialized phantom, providing a high
degree of realism in chest radiography.
The Alderson Lung/Chest Phantom extends from the neck to below
the diaphragm. It is molded about a male skeleton,
corresponding to the external body size of a patient, 5 feet,
9 inches (175 cm) tall and weighing
162 lbs (73.5 kg). RSD
materials are equivalent to natural bone and soft tissues.
Animal lungs are selected to match the size of an adult male.
Lungs are fixed in the inflated state and are molded to
conform to the pleural cavities of the phantom. The pulmonary
arteries are injected with a blood equivalent plastic.
The Lung/Chest Phantom with simulated left coronary artery
reveals several areas of coronary artery irregularity and
To demonstrate different pathological conditions, five
standard pathologies are incorporated: Please call for
- Two contiguous 0.5 cm nodules at the tip of the first left rib.
- A 0.6 cm nodule superimposed with large vessel in the left lower lobe.
- A 1.5 cm nodule, left mediastinal shadow.
- A 0.6 cm nodule blending in with the right pulmonary artery.
- Pneumonia in the right lower lobe.
The Lung/Chest Phantom is available either with the diaphragm
permanently sealed to the interior of the phantom, fixing the
lungs in place, or with a removable diaphragm, which permits
the interchange of lungs, and provides an unlimited number of
configurations and disease simulations.
Custom pathologies are available as wrap around sheets on
either or both lungs.
All models are available with blood-equivalent pulmonary
arteries, or with low or high contrast media added.
back to top